Friday, May 11, 2007

..by which I stand

"In Christ alone will I glory
Though I could pride myself in battles won
For I’ve been blessed beyond measure
And by His strength alone I’ll overcome
Oh, I could stop and count successes like diamonds in my hands
But those trophies could not equal to the grace by which I stand..."

This may sound strange, but I really wish I could wear a sign on my forehead that said "its not by my own doing." Lately I've realized that I lack humility. I find that when people tell me I'm doing a good job or that they appreciate something nice I've done, I take the credit. Somehow I end up mentioning personal "successes" in most conversations. Why can't I stop?! Its like a sick disease. I've realized the fact that I enjoy being the center of attention. That could be my biggest obstacle.

When I got my new cell phone, I made sure to get a cell phone ringer that would mean something to me. I always have my phone with me. It rings loudly...so other people hear it. I remember listening to different songs thinking, "would I want this to represent me?" So, I chose this song, by Brian Littrell. It has been such a blessing in my life. If I start getting ahead of myself, my phone rings and my stomach sinks. If I'm around someone and my phone rings and they hear "In Christ Alone" start playing, I know that I have to live that out or else I'll be seen as a hypocrite. Its been a challenge, but one I need.

I look back on these things I deem as "successes." Not a single one of them was by my own doing. God was so obviously in every thing. What makes me think I could take credit? For the most part, I've been able to use these blessings as a testimony to God's goodness, but how many more opportunities have I missed by taking the credit myself?

My prayer is that someday, the things I do will be truly done for the Glory of Christ and that His will be the only attention I need.

"...In Christ alone I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory, Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope

Is Christ alone."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home